A fire that broke out late Sunday morning in a Keokuk duplex resulted in an injury to a resident and remains under investigation.
The Keokuk Fire Department responded at 11:33 a.m. to 316 S. 11th St., where a fire had started in an upstairs bedroom, according to a report from the department.
An all-call was issued, according to Lt. Pat McNally. The Lee County Narcotics Task Force and an official from the state fire marshal’s office also were on the scene.
Firefighters used a 1 3/4-inch-hand line to the front of the structure and shot water through the windows of the duplex. After the fire was knocked down, firefighters entered through the back of the residence and finished extinguishing the fire on the second floor.
Personnel extinguished the fire within approximately 25 minutes, McNally said. McNally was with the first group of firefighters to enter the residence. He had observed that the fire was mostly out when they went inside.
Lee County Emergency Medical Services transported an injured resident to Keokuk Area Hospital. The resident was later transferred to another facility, according to McNally.
McNally said three families were living on one side of the duplex. The other half of the structure was unoccupied.
The Lee County chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting two adults and two children with shelter, food, clothing and storage.
John Barry owns the duplex, which was uninsured. The second floor of the occupied side sustained heavy fire, smoke and water damage. There was water damage throughout the structure.